Friday, March 11, 2011

Smiles

My most fave times from Ludiya has been with the kids.I have always gotten along with most of kids that i have come across and even baby sit a few of my baby cousins when i was a kid.But it has been a while since i closely dealt with a kid.So i was looking forward to see how i would behave since  there were a lotta kids in ludiya and they were so friendly with the visitors, hovering around the area almost all the time.
My routine in ludiya was laidback and provided me ample time to study the lives of people here.I tried to make the most of this opportunity by trying to infuse myself in all the activities of the family that hosted us.A woman's priority jobs here were to fetch water,clean the house,cook,milk the cow and if she had any spare time after all of it she weaved.
I usually helped korah ben with making the rotlis in the noon and on some evenings.Most of the times she told me not to trouble myself.She probably felt that i am doing it out of obligation.
I have not been much into cooking back at home.Although i love baking and do so quite regularly i never liked cooking(the regular food) on a regular basis.
Subconsciously i did feel morally bound to help her seeing that she cooked for the 5 of us all by herself.
From cutting the veggies and peeling them i decided to stay back to cook rotlis. After spending a few times cooking,i realised how it helped me get to know her better. I always felt a sense of warmth with her. When we had our conversations while cooking i learnt how giving she is.
There are many things about her that i will always remember. When my friend annie came back home with a few embroidery pieces that he had brought from some of the neighbours i saw a wilt on Korah's face . But the very next minute i saw her enquiring if she had brought it for lily(annie's daughter who spent a week at ludiya last year).I felt it is normal for her to be disappointed at this after having showing to annie her own embroideries.But it was as if to counter that negate that previous emotion that she began asking annie more about what she was gonna do with the embroidery.
Hila and hina were my buddies in the hood.We hung out all day.They watched me while cooking with Korah,washin my clothes and even as i read Shantaram :)
They spoke very little,but smiled a lot.I observed most kids there are like that.Shy but they are so easy to understand and be with.

Krishna
Most of them go to schools which is within the hamlet.
Evenings at ludiya resounded with their laughter.Kids here have two names.In Kutchi and
hindi.
Puja and priya
Kamlesh was the first kid i met right when i just about entered the hamlet on my first day.
After his school hours he works with his dad at their wood carving workshop.His little hands were still learning to hold a grip of the instruments.
It was unusual to see him there everyday unlike the other kids who played in the evenings.His mother told me that he infact insists on learning how to carve than to go out and play with kids his age.
I had gone for a walk one afternoon when kamlesh returned home from the workshop hurt with saw dust that had pierced into his foot.Saajni(his mother) tried to get it out of his skin.
He cheered up a little while later.He doent speak much but his smile is so endearing that it tells of a happy world enveloped in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.